StaffCounter for Linux
Compatibility: Ubuntu 18-22, kUbuntu18-22, Mint 18-22, Astra1.7.1
StaffCounter Agent for Linux. What is it?
Managers can view an analysis of this data at the StaffCounter website at any time.
The program requires a constant internet connection. Thanks to our analytics service, even the busiest managers can check on what their employees are up to at their computers in just a couple of minutes.
The agent logs all user activity on the computer and requires only a couple of minutes to set up. It runs in the background and doesn’t put a heavy load on the system.
StaffCounter Agent offers the following key features
Installing the program on computers
Execute the following command in the Terminal application:
sudo apt update
Download and unzip the archive into a new folder. In the Terminal application execute the following command from this folder:
To launch the StaffCounter agent execute a command:
nohup staffcounter &
Now configure StaffCounter:
- Enter your account email at the StaffCounter service. Insert the name on this computer or employee’s name. Click Register.
Download the deb package.
Open the deb package with the package installer.
in the Terminal application and run the following command:
sudo dpkg -i staffcounter.deb
StaffCounter will be installed on the system.
After the installation, you need to restart the computer! After the restart, the StaffCounter agent will be launched automatically.
On Ubuntu 20:
Before installing the .deb package, run the following commands:
sudo apt update
If the last line is like this – 356 packages can be upgraded. Run ‘apt list –upgradable’ to see them. Install updates with the command
sudo apt upgrade
After that, install the .deb package with the standard installer (double-click on the package)
Installing on the Ubuntu 22
Before installing the Staffcounter agent on the Ubuntu 22 Linux, you have to change the display server protocol from Wayland to X11.
Wayland is a communication protocol that specifies the communication between a display server and its clients. By default the Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish desktop already uses Wayland but it’s also possible to load to the Xorg display server instead.
How to disable Wayland
You need to have Privileged access to your Linux system as root or via the sudo command.
The default display manager for the GNOME desktop environment is GDM3. Therefore, we will edit the /etc/gdm3/custom.conf file to either disable or enable Wayland. Open a command line terminal and use nano or your favorite text editor to open this file with root permissions.
$ sudo nano /etc/gdm3/custom.conf
Within this file, look for the line that says #WaylandEnable=false. You can uncomment this line and either set it to true or false, depending on whether you want Wayland enabled or not.
To disable Wayland there should be:
Save this file and exit it. You will need to reboot your Ubuntu 22.04 desktop for the changes to take effect.
Installing on the Red Hat
To install the Staffcounter agent on the Red Hat Linux, you have to change the display server protocol from Wayland to X11.
- Connect the target machine via SSH, copy archive unzip, edit config (manager email set, auto connection =1 ), and Install by install.sh.
2. Login into Linux via GUI Login screen, as a normal user account (non-Admin) – Staffcounter should start, register the device in the dashboard and start monitoring.
3. restart the PC, and log in as a normal user account – StaffCounter should continue work.
Report a problem
In order to tell us about a problem in StaffCounter, you can send us the StaffCounter troubleshooting log files with the command line :
or manually collect all log files from user home folder ~/.local/share/Rohos/staffcounter
Remote installation of the program on the computer. How to change predefined options.
Connect to the client using SSH. Before installation, you need to configure the following parameters in the settings file /staffcounter_install/files/staffcounter.conf:
- adminemail – your account registration email
- device_name – the name of the client’s computer, which will be seen later in the section “Employees” (by default, the system username is taken)
- device_id – if you need to connect to an existing employee. It can be taken on the main page of our web interface in the “Employees” section.
- url – change of the address for sending logs, by default sends to data.staffcounter.net. If you are using the StaffCounter Local Server, you must change this parameter to the address of your local server.
- lock=1 -enable functionality Lockscreen (additional window for authentication in the StaffCounter system)
- idle_time_lock – time in seconds before auto power on Lockscreen (Lockscreen must be enabled for this setting to work.). By default – 2 minutes.
To enable the parameter you need to remove the “#” character in front of the line.
After that, install the StaffCounter as usual.
LockScreen - Monitor Employees in One Account
Our new unique functionality of Lockscreen allows you to automatically launch an authentication window (2 minutes later or after a forced call) to log in to the StaffCounter system. It should be included if several employees work in one system profile and you need to keep track of the time of each of them separately.
Lockscreen dims the screen when you start StaffCounter and does not allow you to perform any actions at the computer until authentication. To enter, you just need to enter the Device ID of the employee, the system will automatically pick it up from the server and start monitoring it right away. To pre-made a list of employees, use the function of Invite.
While Lockscreen is running, no employee is monitored, and the log is not sent to the server.
In order for the Staffcounter program to work in Lockscreen mode, you must first create the required number of virtual devices on the data.staffcounter.net server.
After that in the settings file /staffcounter_install/files/staffcounter.conf before installation you need to configure
and install the Staffcounter program as usual. When you start it, the Lockscreen window will immediately appear. On the desktop in the area of the clock – you can use the icon StaffCounter – command Exit – to change the employee number.
Can a worker turn StaffCounter off for some time?
An employee can click on the StaffCounter Agent icon in the system tray and pause monitoring for 1 hour or stop the monitoring. This time will not be counted as working time. If the employee restarts the computer after the pause the monitoring will be continued. If the employee stopped the monitoring, after the restart it will not start automatically.
How can I see log file locally on the computer?
Uninstalling StaffCounter from a computer
To uninstall the program,
– open the installation folder and type in Terminal the following command:
or execute from anywhere:
sudo dpkg -P staffcounter